Monday, February 17, 2014

Four Things to Do When You are a Pastor Taking a Sick Day



Like many people, I do not like going to the doctor.  I have friends who are doctors and nurses, chaplains and hospital staff, but the idea of expending the little energy I have when I am sick making the trip often does not seem worthwhile.  That means that usually by the time I do go in – aside from annual physicals or taking my children – I really need to go in!  My doctors know I am a pastor, and they often give me that “why didn't you come before this point” look, and I nod in agreement.
 
Getting to know doctors, nurses, and hospital staff in my congregation, as well as those I get to work with doing volunteer chaplaincy in the community, has given me a great appreciation for the work they do.  Although we tend to glamorize being in the medical profession, my experience with most people in the medical profession is that they are far from glamour seekers.  In fact, the nature of their work is very much like what good pastoral care does: tending to those in need, being present at times of hardship or discomfort, and doing their best to meet the needs of diverse groups of people from all walks of life, often with little formal “thanks” thrown in.  In short, doctors, nurses, and medical staff are always expected to be at their best, even though they most often see the rest of us at our worse. 

So, this past week, after being infected with what has now become strep throat (oh, if only I had gone in before it got this bad!), I sit here pondering ways to be effective under what the doctor said should be at least 24 hours of rest and recovery in virtual isolation (so as not to infect my family or my “flock”).  What are some things that a pastor on a sick day can do?  Here are some ideas that spring to mind. 

1. Obey the doctors!  If we as pastoral leaders cannot take direction from those who are seeking to give us direction for our own well-being, our credibility will likely suffer.  Being able to say, “I have so much to do that I have to ‘work through it’” may sound valiant, but in some cases it simply demonstrates a lack of humility. By following the advice of doctors and nurses, pastors can model the truth that we all need to take advice and to heed trusted wisdom every now and then.  Also, it allows me to demonstrate to all of the other hardworking people in my congregation that I am sympathetic when they are out sick or cannot accomplish all they wish to in a week due to doctor’s orders.

2. Pray as you rest!  What a perfect excuse to add minutes and even hours to my prayer time!  I have been ordered by a medical professional after a thorough examination to “take it easy” until I am no longer contagious and/or until signs of recovery begin to appear.  While I am sitting or lying here, I can call to mind members of my family, members of my congregation, those who were in the waiting room with me (in my case this week it was two little girls and their mom, all of whom were sick), and the doctors and nurses themselves.  This concentrated prayer time reminds me that we are all in the hands of the Great Physician.

3. A little extra conversation with the family.  Throughout a sick day, it is likely that family members will come in to check on us or at least to pick up cups and dishes, etc.  When this happens, and without overly exposing them to your illness, taking a moment to remind them of how special they are can turn a sick day into a time of refreshing for them and for you.

4. Administrative work.  Most all pastors get behind in some aspect of administration, whether it be calendar planning or ancillary paperwork.  Bringing a folder or a laptop into the recovery area can allow us to make use of those times when, although sick, we have napped and have been medicated all we can stand at the moment!  Of course, do not overwork during these times.  That will only aggravate the illness and may even prolong recovery time.  However, a little bit of administrative work to kill the time and to calm our minds to the place of moving back to a place of rest can actually be helpful and fruitful.

A few hundred years ago, it was not uncommon for ministers to also have some basic medical training in seminary.  In fact, John Wesley even wrote an introductory medical textbook, called Primitive Physick, to serve as a tool for new ministers who were seeking to provide comprehensive care at a time when only the very wealthy had access to doctors.  Of course, with the breakthroughs in medical science, pastors are no longer consistently placed in the dual role of shepherd and medical doctor.  That means that we rely upon doctors, nurses, and hospital staff as part of community care – even part of pastoral care.  Often we conveniently forget their vital role in the overall health of the community until we are on a hospital visit, or until we pastors become patients.  Maybe reflecting on this truth while I’m recovering will encourage me to see these wonderfully trained folks earlier in the process in the future!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment