Monday, November 11, 2013

My Veterans Day Prayer


I write this on Veteran’s Day, a day set aside to honor men and women who have served and who are currently serving in the United States military.  My family includes generations of people who have served or who are currently serving in every branch of military service.  Many friends with whom I graduated high school and college have also worn the uniform of the military.  Each one of their faces comes to mind on days like these.  Only God, their families, and they themselves know the hours of work, preparation, and sacrifice that have gone into their commitment to serve in the armed forces.  Most of them I have spoken with through the years – including my own family members who have served – have said that their biggest fears while serving are not about their own safety, but about the safety and health of family members and friends they are away from.  They find their thoughts drifting homeward, wondering if a friend or loved one is safely going about their day, even though a soldier’s life has far more potential dangers than the average person.  With these things in mind, and with genuine respect for men and women who have served and who are serving, I want to share an outline of a prayer.

I. As a Christian, I look forward with you to the day when your job is deemed unnecessary.  Jesus came as the Prince of Peace, and the Bible, in both the Old and New Testaments, calls forth images of a day when we will “beat our swords [and AK-47s and tanks, etc.] into plowshares and study war no more” (Isaiah 2:4).  In my prayers, I join with countless others – including most military personnel I know – in praying for that day to come quickly.  Every Christian, especially those who are in the military, is called to follow this Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ, whose ultimate goal is not war, but peace.  Moving toward a time when we can say, “We no longer need weapons of any kind.  What we need now is more folks to harvest all of the bounty that God has provided us,” sounds like an impossible dream given the current state of our world.  It would be impossible if not for one thing: God has promised it!  So, even as men and women serve and fight, we pray that each battle would be the last and look forward to the day when they no longer have to be called upon to serve in this way.

II. I pray that we honor our military without worshiping it.  No Christian would say that he or she worships anyone or anything but God.  However, the nature of idolatry (the worship of things other than God) is subtlety.  It creeps in little by little and takes the place of the True God.  Sometimes in showing our appreciation for precious men and women who serve in the military, we unwittingly turn them into Christlike figures.  In showing our appreciation for the military might and skill of our nation, we sometimes show more enthusiasm for might and power than we do for the One who came as a humble servant, Jesus Christ our Lord.  I pray that we can say to those who serve in the military “thank you,” while reminding them of the Scriptures that say that when a nation trusts in its own might it is doomed, because our strength really comes in trusting the ways of God (see Psalm 20:7, for instance).

III. Sometimes even the best nations get it wrong.  When we say “yes” to following Jesus Christ, we commit to a new kingdom: God’s kingdom.  We are still residents of other kingdoms – kingdoms like the United States, Canada, Great Britain, Malawi, etc.  However, we have said to Jesus, “We believe Your kingdom is the best one, and so anything that comes into conflict with Your kingdom must take a back seat.”  Anything less than this, according to Jesus, is not Christianity.  Now, as good as my country is at times – and my country of birth, the United States, has done a lot of good things – there will be (and have been) many times when it has been at odds with God’s approach to things.  At those times, I owe it to the kingdom of my highest loyalty, which is the Kingdom of God, to say something.  My prayer is that I would not share these criticisms with a mean or disrespectful spirit.  But my prayer is also that I would have the moral courage to say something – to “speak the truth in love,” as the Bible says – so that there can be a clear witness in regard to the Kingdom of God.  Sometimes that may involve making the Left or the Right or the Centrists or even the military uncomfortable.  If so, with all due respect, so be it.

IV. I want people to live in peace.  This is only because the Lord I seek to follow and the Bible I seek to live by is filled with calls for peace – real peace.  I am called to pray for enemies, and to do the best I can to “live at peace with all people,” to paraphrase the Apostle Paul in the New Testament.  When our nation, including our military, is working toward those ends, I am solidly in harmony with them. Sometimes peace may come about in ways that I and others will not be fond of, which would include the killing of people on a battlefield.  At other times, peace will come without a shot being fired.  Ultimately, my prayer is that the goal of our nation, including our military, would be peace, and that this peace would be so rooted in God’s ways that it would be lasting.

To keep this prayer outline from being just a pipe dream, I will actually share a prayer.  Because I believe in this God whose Kingdom is defined by service, forgiveness, love, and peace, I believe He is big enough to answer this prayer.  And I pray that all people –including soldiers of every era – would join me in this prayer:

Gracious God: You are the author of life.  You give us life, and then you offer us a life filled with your presence and your peace.  We are in a fallen world that values power over humility.  We value killing over conversation.  We value death over life.  Radically change our hearts and give us the discernment we need to bring about your kind of peace in your way: the way modeled so beautifully by your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.  Give us holy boldness and wisdom, so that we do not elevate any other kingdom over yours.  Give us loving hearts, so that even when we feel led to critique our nation or its leaders or its military, we would do so in love with redemptive purpose.  We pray for protection and peace for those who serve in the armed forces.  We pray for protection and peace for their families.  We join them in praying that you will speed the day when all nations would “beat their weapons into tools for prosperity and good, and study war no more.”  In the name of the Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ our Lord, we pray.  Amen.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment